YWAM PITTSBURGH exists to know God and make Him known.
this dna is what inspires us to reach the neighborhoods, nations + next generation.
Youth With A Mission Pittsburgh was founded in 2001 by Doug and Debra Tunney. They dreamed of an opportunity for the church of Pittsburgh to be prepared for and mobilized towards the mission field. Their vision was to reach the world for Christ by equipping believers with a relevant message and an effective tool set. YWAM Pittsburgh has since developed into a movement of missionaries passionate to see God’s desire for all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
In 2006, God moved the Tunneys and 4 of our staff to Boston to pioneer YWAM there. Their work continues to thrive.
Back at our operating base in Belle Vernon, 45 minutes outside of Pittsburgh, we continued to reach out to our neighborhoods and disciple youth in missions. In 2011, God made a way for YWAM Pittsburgh to move into the South Side of Pittsburgh, minutes from the heart of the city. This opened up many doors for refugee and urban ministries, amidst our other continuous programs. We were graciously allowed to rent the 3rd floor of an old monastery where we lived and worked for 5 years.
In 2016, through the generous support of friends, family and local churches and businesses, we purchased our very own Ministry Center in Carrick, a neighborhood of Pittsburgh, a strategic location. This new location allowed for growth of our refugee “Kidz Club”, and our open gym basketball and Bible study in the West End of Pittsburgh. It also kickstarted new ministries: a West End Girl’s Group, a Carrick after-school program and “Kidz Club”, as well as small group discipleship for refugee teenagers focussed on developing ongoing relationships while teaching foundational Christian truths.
In the beginning of 2018, we bought an apartment building less than a mile down the road from our Ministry Center. This building houses some of our staff, our Discipleship Training School students, and the volunteers in our Joshua Generation and Mission Adventures programs.
We are looking forward to what God has next for us as we partner with him in reaching our world around us.
Fulfilling the Great Commission by reaching the lost, discipling believers, and mobilizing the church.
To reach every nation, tribe, and tongue with the gospel in Pittsburgh and to the ends of the Earth.
We of Youth With A Mission believe that:
- The Bible is God’s inspired and authoritative word, revealing that Jesus Christ is God’s son
- People are created in God’s image
- He created us to have eternal life through Jesus Christ
- Although all people have sinned and come short of God’s glory, God has made salvation possible through the death on the cross and resurrection of Jesus Christ
- Repentance, faith, love and obedience are fitting responses to God’s initiative of grace towards us
- God desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth
- The Holy Spirit’s power is demonstrated in and through us for the accomplishment of Christ’s last commandment, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation” (Mark 16:15).
We are humbled that God uses us to make such an eternal impact. As a ministry, we have accomplished many of our goals. So far, we have:
- Trained over 200 people through Discipleship Training School, 1,200 youth in Joshua Generation and Mission Adventures, and 15 churches in our Evangelism Training Course
- Ministered in over 40 nations
- Established weekly evangelism and discipleship programs for refugees and urban youth in Pittsburgh with more than 200 regular attendees
- Seen more than 125,000 individuals make decisions to follow Jesus
- Prayed for and witnessed over 400 miraculous physical healings
- Presented the Gospel to more than a half million people
- Given a clear presentation of the Gospel for every $6 donated to our ministry